The Old Acre Carriage House had several lives before being renovated as a 2 bedroom cottage with 1040 square feet of living space and a single car garage.  Most recently, this building was used as a three car garage, but most certainly was a carriage building and a horse barn, as evidenced by the grates on the windows and chew marks on the window sills. A sheathing board found during demolition dates the building to 1856

The renovation was undertaken with an eye to preserving the inherent beauty of its Gothic style and salvaging, reusing and re-purposing building components and details found at the property. The overall massing was maintained, but the addition of two small dormers in the roof allowed light and headroom at the 2nd floor. The board and batten sheathing and trim details were meticulously reproduced and where windows could be salvaged and reused, they were. New wood windows with true divided lights and single pane glass were purchased to match the old. Large granite and bluestone paving stones were collected from the property and reused as steps and walkways. An existing cistern was re-purposed as the collection base for an outdoor shower. The sliding tongue and groove breadboard door was relocated to the single garage bay and the front door was a salvaged mahogany door found in the building.

The eye to history continues within, but the overall open planning concept was contemporary. All of the mahogany raised panel doors inside were found on the property and were re-hung with original hardware and glass and porcelain door knobs. The closet doors on the 2nd floor were originally shutters from the main house. Bead-board panels that had been stored in the hay loft were reused in the kitchen/mudroom and 2nd floor bath. Glass cabinet doors were found in the original barn, sanded and painted for use in the new kitchen. Various sizes and styles of found brackets were used to support marble counters in both the kitchen and bath and an old marble sink was salvaged for use in the powder room.

Renovation: Carriage House

Architect:
Gale Goff Architect
Newport and Little Compton, RI

Builder:
Legacy Construction Services
West Warwick, RI

Photographer:
Howard Chu Studio, South Kingstown, RI



 
Winner 2013 Doris Duke Preservation Award